A Web Guide to the Eucalypts
- Eucalyptus smithii
R. Baker, Proc. Linn. Soc. New South Wales 24: 292 (1899).
- TYPE: New South Wales, Sugar loaf Mountain, W. Baeuerlen 2071, Aug 1898 (lecto NSW (5 sheets), isolecto K. MEL, fide Maiden, CR 2: 77, 1910). Cited as "Hab - Sugar Loaf Mountain, Monga and Irish Corner Mountain, Braidwood (W. Baeuerlen)."
- Eucalyptus mazeliana Naudin,
Descr. Emploi Eucalyptus 2nd Mem. 41 (1891).
- TYPE: Not located. Cited as "... il est cultive depuis plusiers annees, chez M. Mazel."
- Eucalyptus viminalis var. pedicellaris F. Muell. ex Deane & Maiden,
Proc. Linn. Soc. New South Wales 26: 141 (1901).
- TYPE: Maiden Vol III pg 169 "a spec. from Snowy River in Herb. Melb. In Mueller's handwriting…" "slightly glaucous; multiflowered" - may be the type.
Habit: Tree or Mallee, Height to 40 m high.
Bark: Bark smooth throughout or persistent on lower trunk or
persistent on full trunk, shortly fibrous ("peppermint") (compact), grey-brown
to brown-black, white to grey (above), shedding in long ribbons. Branchlets
green. Pith glands absent; Bark glands present. Cotyledons obreniform (bilobed).
Leaves: Intermediate leaves opposite, lanceolate (cordate), straight,
entire, glossy green, sessile, 8 cm long, 1.5 mm wide. Adult leaves disjunct,
narrow lanceolate, not falcate, acuminate or acute, basally tapered, glossy or
semi-glossy, green, thick, concolorous, 918 cm long, 0.71.5 mm wide;
Petioles narrowly flattened or channelled, Petioles 720 mm long. Lateral
veins prominent, very acute or acute, moderately spaced.
Inflorescences: Conflorescence simple, axillary; Umbellasters
7-flowered, regular. Peduncles narrowly flattened or angular (to 3mm wide),
512 mm long. Pedicels terete, 26 mm long.
Flowers: Buds ovoid or clavate, not glaucous or pruinose, 47 mm
long, 34 mm diam. Calyx calyptrate; shedding early. Calyptra hemispherical
or conical or rostrate, 1 times as long as hypanthium or 2 times as long as
hypanthium, as wide as hypanthium; smooth. Hypanthium smooth. Flowers white, or
Fruits: Fruits globose or ovoid, pedicellate, 3 locular, 47 mm
long, 47 mm diam. Disc raised. Valves exserted. Chaff dimorphic, linear
and cuboid, chaff same colour as seed.
Occurrence: Locally frequent;.
Distribution: N.S.W., or Vic. N.S.W. regions Central Coast, or South
Coast, or Central Tablelands, or Southern Tablelands.